Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Anjaan's New Dicky

Spoiler - Dont get scandalised by the title of the post - "Dicky" is Strine for Dictionary - Read on to understand more. (its an Australian syncope, yes they love abbreviating)Its been a hectic one and a half months. I must admit I did expect to make it to the finals and my preparations for the Finals started almost 2 months ago when I was announced in the Top 50. After April 3rd (when the Top15 Finalists were announced) the intensity has just incresed multifold.

Flying seems to be part of my life! Within a week we're flying off to OZ. Time is just flying past me! The last 2 months have just flown by in a second... and have been extremely intensive "learning periods". I havent done this much factual reading since I was in the 10th grade. *grin*.
Its life changing experiences like this that reminds one that both Learning and teaching should be a persons top passions. I truly believe that to live life to the fullest we must always be growing as individuals as well as helping others to grow. I remember an 8th grade teacher of mine - years ago - posted this on the blackboard. It went something like
“We Learn… 10% of what we read , 20% of what we hear , 50% of what we see and hear , 70% of what we discuss, 80% of what we experience, and 95% of what we teach others.

I admit it - I might not be learning enough since im not teaching, but nevertheless ive been bombarded with information.We do live in the information age - and boy - have I got blasted with information. Besides the usual kilos of stuff in the mailbox a day, 507 TV channels to flip through, thousands of billboards along the roads and the 623 e-mail messages selling male enhancement pills, Ive been pretty busy with specific Job Related Learning

One can’t alter the flow of information out there, but one can do some simple things in your writing to make the information you present clear, simple, and easy to understand. So here Goes
- Information Input 1 - Great Barrier Reef
- Information Input 2 - Nutrition and Body Building
- Information Input 3 - Strine

Over the last 2 months I now know about things I never knew my whole life. Thanx to the internet I know about coral exoskeletons and the difference between a fringin reef , a ribbon reef, a bank reef , a table reef and a barrier reef. I know that polyps are approximately cylindrical and a part of the species of cnidarians.

Thanx to my gym instructor I know where my deltoids, pectoralis major, obliques, quadriceps, trapezius, adductors, and other muscles are. I know what nutrients are there in which food items and I know that that whey proteins have creatine which is a nitrogenous organic acid that helps to supply energy to muscles.
Thanx to lonely planet, other books and some friends I know that when and OZ says "G'day,mate..how are you, to-die? (pronounced "Good-die, mate..how are you, to die?) he actually means "Greetings my friend...how are you doing today?" and not someone rudely asking how you are going to pass away?I reckon that aussie mateys like to chinwag on the al capone in the avro while sipping on their middy's (I know that Australian friends like to chat on the telephone in the afternoons while sipping on their beer glasses).
So much information. So little time
Im looking at this blog as a teaching experience to recall whatever I have read over the last 2 months. My hope is that my relentless pursuit of information can be passed along in a positive way via this blog. Some of us get our memories fuelled by Black Coffee. Others like me have to resort to the simple age old adage of "having interest" in what I read. Im sure these little titbits will be of use sometime during the final interview in the beautiful islands of Queensland! :) (may 2nd to may 6th)

So hey I do have a new dicky (dictionary) and im waiting to show it off on May 1st night when one of the finalists - Hailey - is throwing a yabbie on the barbie (throwing a barbeque). One week left - and now I actually cant wait for it!

Psst :- Head to Beautiful Queensland for a Holiday. Tell them Anjaan is your Friend! :)

4 comments:

  1. haw!!!I was wondering what the y'd call u in australian mate?!!! Anjie perhaps?!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. stick to ur 8th class teachers words...
    sure u get it.....
    all d best

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably just call you Anj. Lol. And no way am I eating a yabbie. But I'll show you round Brisbane for sure!

    BTW - you're very brave if you're going to wear a dickie. Lol. Could've just got boardies?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who is your Islandcaretaker? Vote now!

    http://www.polldaddy.com/p/1591321/

    ReplyDelete

Reef Musings